Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The end of an era

(Insert long sigh here)....  Yesterday, our housekeeper, Francisca told us that her brother had a bad accident in Virginia and that she was moving there to look after him. Francisca is more than our housekeeper. She practically raised Addie. When we first moved here, we checked out a few daycare centers and I cried after visiting the first one and would not even get out of the car at the second one. Also, since being pregnant with Ali Grace almost 10 years ago, my hormones went all nutty and things being out of place in my house makes me insane. Not as insane as it did postpartum, but some remnants of the OCD remained. Francisca was a blessing to us. She kept Addie in our house and allowed me to work without worrying about Addie. Addie still calls her "FranKISSca". We are all going to miss her so much. Addie will especially miss Francisca's daughter Rubi. They sort of grew up together. Francisca told me that she would find me someone else before she left, but I told her that it was okay. It's kind of like a divorce in the sense that I cannot imagine ANYONE taking care of us like Francisca did. So, as silly as it sounds, I'm not ready for anyone else yet. But, life goes on. It won't hurt the girls to step up a little and have a chore list. The girls have done fairly well with other chores like getting in the eggs from the chicken coop. I'm sure they'll do fine.  (insert long sigh here as well...)
Yes life goes on....
Addie and Rubi
Ali, Rubi and Addie

Addie (cherry mustache and all), Francisca, and Ali Grace
Girls being silly!
 

We are still pretty much iced in here. I have not been off  "The Ponderosa", as friends call it, since Friday. I am getting a little nutty out here in the sticks. I've only seen a few brave 4 wheel drives come down the road since Sunday. The back deck is still covered in ice. It was impossible to get down the steps this morning. I had to go out the garage and around to the woodpile to get firewood. Add that to the list of reasons to marry- to have someone to get firewood during the winter. Pete had to be at work this morning at 10 so keeping the "homefire burnin'" was left to me. I'm not nearly the firestoker he is, but then again I don't melt the leather off the sofas either.  It does seem to be thawing, but that seems to be making an even nastier mess.





Miss Priss woke up with a bad cough this morning. Thankfully it wasn't the croupy kind of cough she often gets.  I gave her some Pediacare and she seems to be fine now. Whew!


I'm  trying to keep from going completely stir crazy by doing some cooking today. I'm making chili and some jalapeno cornbread using my friend Tammy's recipe at www.homeofamagnolia.blogspot.com  Ali and I also made some cinnamon bread and then later some cookies from a mix given to me by a student  for Christmas. Don't worry! He's a GOOD student. Teachers don't eat stuff from just ANY student!
Ali Grace making the dough for the bread

Kneading the dough


ooey gooey goodness!

Stay warm everyone!  The truffles are gone and the wine is getting low. Time to claw out of this icy mess! This January is just a doozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment