Sunday, January 16, 2011

Awesome day in Athens!

I spent a wonderful 4 years of my life in Athens, Georgia and don't get to go back nearly as often as I would like.  Since the girls started playing basketball this year we thought it would be a great idea to take them to a Georgia basketball game. Turns out, this MLK weekend the Lady Dawgs were slated to take on the Rowdy Reptiles from Florida. Perfect. We invited my friend Shannon and her daughter Hailey to go with us.   We got up early and Addie had to find Woody and Jessie. We can't go anywhere of any significance without them!

We picked the Widener women up around 9am and headed to Athens! Ali was so excited that Hailey was going to the game with us.  We listened to silly silly girly laughing all the way there!

Once we got to Athens, we let the girls walk around campus a little and Pete and I told them all the stupid things we'd done while we were there. (Well not ALL the stupid things of course). The snow and ice was still rough in places so we didn't go as many places as I'd like to have but we had a good time anyhow.






We had lunch at one of my favorite places. LOCO's! I love a hot Cuban! (And I don't even care if he speaks english! LOL) 

Before going to the game, Pete wanted to walk through the UGA Trial Gardens. He's such a horticulture geek and it's quite annoying at times because he takes random plant pictures like this one:
Is there even a plant THERE? Ugh....
Hailey and Ali Grace at the Trial Gardens

When we finally made it to the game we were so glad to see Brian and Cohen! They came to sit with us and Addie was glad to have a friend of her own at the game with us. I was impressed by Stegman Coliseum! It's not the "Stegosaurus" it once was! The game was slow and Georgia was down by as many as 16. In the last 6 minutes of the game, the Lady Dogs showed up and whittled the Gators' lead to 2.  FINALLY out of nowhere our 3 point shooters showed up and it was ON! The ending was great and Ali's throat hurt from yelling so loudly! My proudest moment was when the game was a little slow and I turned around to see Addie and Cohen talking about something totally random and unrelated to the game. The UGA Pep band started playing "Glory" and instinctively both kids stopped talking and started clapping to the beat!  Proud Mama! GO DAWGS!  





1 comment:

  1. technically, I was taking pictures of the irrigation system hoping to copy it and use it at my school... I wasn't looking at the plants- not in that bed at least!

    ReplyDelete