Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken Chasing

Today started off wonderfully with a note from my sub from yesterday saying how wonderful my students were yesterday. I immediately inspected the handwriting to make sure this was no forgery! Fortunately, the kids truly were well behaved! yay! I rewarded them by shortening the assignment for the day and playing a math review game with candy prizes!

So my good day continued on and this afternoon I got so much done! I got Addie a new bike, I got Ali a manicure (yes she's reached the high maintenance age) , I ran by and paid the insurance, and on the way home I was thinking about how awesome I am and how incredibly efficient I'd been today. Then... I drive in the driveway.... and see chickens... in my front yard... milling about in my tulips...  After a few choice words and chasing them around the house and under the deck, I had to chuckle and think that God has such a funny sense of humor and He is quite adept at making us remember we're not nearly as cool as we think. We're not nearly as put together as we might want to believe. Chasing chickens can be a humbling experience. A creature with a brain the size of a black eyed pea outsmarts you and you immediately realize just how "cool" you are. Not very.

I called my Daddy and thankfully, he came over and helped me herd the chickens back into the coop. Then he lowered the seat on Addie's bike and then helped her ride. She has no training wheels on the new bike so she's learning the Bennett way.  We all had a great laugh when she successfully dodged the pile of rocks and drove straight into the mud puddle then turned over and got soaked. She gave us a two thumbs up so we knew she was okay. Again, don't go thinking you've got it all under control. God will surely remind you that you do not!

No comments:

Post a Comment