Monday, March 21, 2011

Manic Monday


Whenever I have to work late I always worry about how my household is functioning at home. I  don't know why, but I have a bad image of burnt supper, crying babies, and a yelling husband. That's not how it EVER goes, but I still worry.   Tonight I had open house at Louisville Middle School and even though it was economically stupid, I just had to come home and make sure homework was started, everyone was okay, and that Pete was positively sure he could handle the house by himself. Like I said, he's done it a million times. It's my pride that fools me into thinking this ship would sink if I left for 2 hours. With gas as high as it is, I know it made no sense, but I had to see for myself that everything was okay.

I went on to open house and got a text from Pete asking me to meet he and the girls for dinner in town. That's a man after my own heart. When the kids popped out of Pete's truck I could hardly understand what they were saying...one was babbling excitedly over two pit bulls their daddy had chased out of the cow pasture, the other was overwhelmed with excitement over a huge balloon they found in the pasture. A cow was playing with it and they thought that was hysterical. I love the fact that they still love telling me all about their day. I know a day will soon come when they won't share one tidbit of non-essential information with me so I'm relishing in it while I can. 


After dinner... I am ashamed to admit... My husband and I raced home! He and Addie issued a "challenge" as we left the restaurant and I ran to my mini van like Daisy Duke. Well with a little less wavy perfect hair and a little more wiggle and jiggle. Pete pulled out to the light and I tore out through the BP gas station on the corner to avoid the light. Ali and I were hollering to the top of our lungs. If you saw my mini van jump that big pot hole on Hwy 24 coming out of the gas station, please don't tell my parents. Anyhow, as we raced home, Ali was singing along to the bible school songs on the radio. I think it's considered cheating if your grandmother is the VBS director and you get to learn all the songs ahead of time. My mother in law says that the Baptists don't consider it cheating.   : )  Anyway,  so imagine this... I'm airborne in the mini van. Ali is singing " everywhere I travel, everywhere I go, Jesus loves me this I know..... He's catching up to us Mama hit the gas!"  It was quite comical. Then he had the nerve to pass me when we passed Vidette store. It was on a double line and I flashed the cheating sign out the window. I do believe in Karma though. He tried to take a short cut through Mama and Daddy's drive, but when he got to the backside of the horse paddocks, the gate was locked!  Ha! We came fishtailing down the dirt road and smoked them!   A great ending to an awfully long workday.

1 comment: