Sunday, February 13, 2011

We've got the gift!

Everyone close to me knows that I subscribe to the John Rosemond theory of children's birthday parties. We don't overdo it. We usually only invite family, and we don't expect gifts. Rosemond suggests serving the child's favorite foods, along with the obligatory cake and song. I don't fault other parents who go all out, but this works for us and it's what we think is best.  You can find Rosemond's entire list of New Year's Resolutions for parents here.  http://www.herald-dispatch.com/life/x1731973212/John-Rosemond-Some-New-Years-resolutions-for-parents-to-consider


This year we did decide to use some of Addie's Christmas money from her Aunt Betty and buy her a more expensive gift than we usually do. Gran- if you're letting Addie and Ali read over your shoulder make them stop now! We bought Addie a trampoline. I know I know... trampolines are responsible for countless trips to the ER each year. My children don't ride 4 wheelers, shoot firearms, play in the street or do anything else to increase their chances of an ER visit- so cut us some slack okay!  There was that one unfortunate incident involving a half crazy mare and my 9 year old clinging on to her mane for dear life, but who's counting?   :) I ordered Addie a butterfly cake from the bakery along with a cake for Papa since we'll be celebrating his birthday next weekend too!  Pete and I are both off on Friday so hopefully we'll be able to get the trampoline put together without any hitches.

Since the girls are with their grandparents in Jesup I have no kiddo photos today, but I do have some great pictures of my favorite parts of this house:
The view from my rocking chair this afternoon

I love these stairs. I love seeing the sleepy faces of my children at the top of these stairs even more!



My chicken coop, also known as "The Poultry Palace". If you've never eaten fresh eggs, don't start now. You will never be able to happily eat another egg from the grocery store again.


This is the site of my spring garden spot! I can't wait to
start the garden with the girls after Good Friday of course!
















4 comments:

  1. Trampoline will bring hours of fun and then provide a useful place for sunbathing for someone, but not your girls. Love low key birthdays. Ev's recent party was perfect- just a few boys over playing backyard football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Jane loves her trampoline. We got one with an enclosure. We are also going for a low key party this year. I normally go all out but usually waste money. Last summer was perfect- pool party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carmen,
    Hold on, you may have "sticker shock" when purchasing
    Your spring vegetable seeds. Honey they are sky high!!!
    We wish Addie Belle a very happy birthday too!!
    Love,
    unclerobertlyles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Uncle Robert! I've heard seed prices were going to be outrageous this year. We will start our tomatoes and squash from plugs anyhow. With our overabundance of eggs, we may be frequenting the farmer's market this summer. I think the girls would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete