Monday, February 14, 2011

The Critic's Corner


My girls are still with their grandparents tonight but they'll be home tomorrow! We've enjoyed having some quiet time around here and we've been able to sleep a little later each morning since we don't have to get the kids up and out of the house. However, I miss my babies and can't wait for Pete to pick them up after work tomorrow! This picture was taken on Valentine's Day of 2006, right before Addie turned two. Wow how time flies. 

Pete and I had dinner at Burke Perk. The bistro/coffee shop opened in October of last year and is owned and operated by a pastry chef. The fried zucchini was very good and the cheesecake was nothing short of heavenly. Pete and I had steak and shrimp. The steak was not in the ballpark of an Al Cooper steak, but it could be just preference. I do not care for a marinated steak. If a steak needs to be marinated, then it's not fit for a steak in my Ag Alumni opinion. I also don't like to fix my own drink anywhere but the Dairy Queen and if I do, I expect a Dairy Queen sized cup or glass. The salad was very good but the plate was too small and made it difficult to manage the salad without making a mess.  Overall though, I really liked the place! The atmosphere was very nice and the service was exceptional. I am definitely going back on a regular menu day to check it out. I did see where they serve Jittery Joe's coffee, roasted right in Athens, GA. I wish I liked coffee! Unfortunately I only like the smell of coffee not the taste. 
It also occurred to me tonight that I give Waynesboro a rough time sometimes. I think I've even referred to it as "Compton Lite" a few times in my blog! Tonight, Waynesboro was beautiful. When we came out of the restaurant, a breeze was blowing and downtown looked so nice. People were walking their dogs, coming in and out of shops and obviously enjoying our first real taste of Spring.  I can't say that much for the Jet Store where we stopped to get gas afterwards, but hey you can't have everything!  So Waynesboro, I apologize.  As a friend of mine pointed out in her blog a few days ago, we need to focus more on the good, and tonight there was a lot of good going on in town. I might just drag myself off the Ponderosa more often. 

  

2 comments:

  1. Carmen,
    I absolutely love reading your blog entries, and tonight was no exception!

    I always loved driving through Waynesboro on the way to and from Statesboro, but you make me want to stop and experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kerry! I write it mainly for family members strewn everywhere across the country, but I sure love to hear other people enjoy my mundane thoughts as well! LOL You need stop and experience dinner HERE sometime!

    ReplyDelete