Monday, April 18, 2011

Enjoying the outdoors



We had a little time to work out in the yard this afternoon and I got a chance to clean all the winter funk from the porches. I love boston ferns on a front porch. Nothing says southern better than huge ferns on a front porch! These ferns are smaller than the ones I usually get. My husband, agriculturalist extraordinaire, grew these without the benefit of a fertilizer injector and so they are small. They have gorgeous new growth on them though and they are a beautiful dark green. I really love them and they were much cheaper than the huge ferns for sale in town. 

Despite the mosquitoes, the kids had a good time outdoors. Ali spotted the first blackberries of the season. We have several grapevines, blackberry vines and blueberry bushes. 
Addie gathered the eggs...


 The girls helped Pete plant my peppers and tomatoes in the straw bale garden... Still looks a little rough. Not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm going to do my best.

Then the girls tinkered around the farm until almost bedtime.



We've officially started counting down the days until summer break!

1 comment:

  1. Wait. You plant things IN bales of hay? Never heard of such. Have you done it before and does it work? Love seeing your cutie pies, by the way!

    ReplyDelete