Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Uniformity is highly overrated.... Just my opinion

I was surprised when I got an email today asking for my participation in an opinion survey on school uniforms at Edmund Burke Academy. I was disappointed, seeing as how they currently have no uniform policy and I suppose they must be considering one. I guess it's my libertarian leanings coming out. I just don't like the idea. Ali loves jeans and a tee shirt. Addie loves dresses and bows. Is that so horrible? What is it about a collared shirt that is supposed to make kids learn more and behave better? I think it just makes them uncomfortable. Is there some terrible problem there that needs correcting? If so, as a parent I surely would like to know. I know most private schools do require uniforms. I just don't like the idea of widgets all in the same uniform. Hello we are not all the same. The sooner kids learn that the better..  A friend recently directed me to an article in the Chicago Tribune about how Chicago schools are now banning home made lunches. ALL students MUST eat in the school cafeteria, because the government knows how to feed your children WAY better than you do. I just think it's too much control in an area that absolutely makes no difference in academic outcomes. Isn't that what a school should be focused on? Academic outcomes? Please stay out of my lunchbox and my closet. Thanks. Just my two cents...

Addie had her cap and gown pictures today. She looked precious this morning and homeless when she came home today.  I don't know what she does during the day that gets her face filthy, her hands sticky and her hair in a disheveled mess but I like it.

She's been doing great with her reading lately! Ali bought Addie a book at the book fair today so while I cooked supper tonight, Ali helped Addie read the book. It was heartwarming until Addie whacked Ali across the nose with the book.


1 comment:

  1. I would HATE it if TJA went to uniforms ~ mary dalton would not be a happy camper if she had to wear a polo and khakis everyday! I think we may NOT be the norm on this one ~ and I would last ummm..maybe 2 seconds at a school where I could not feed my children a lunch from home ~ CRAZY! I would have to homeschool if it came to that ~ MDD has cap and gown pics tomorrow ~ they are growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete