Sunday, May 8, 2011

Remembering the childless on Mother's Day


I had a fabulous day today.  Low key, beautiful weather, great friends and best of all... I was able to share it with my children and my own mother.  Like Valentine's Day though, we should be thankful for our mothers every day. Y'all know I never get too excited about Hallmark holidays. 
The weather was so nice and cool this morning and Ali Grace wanted to ride so we walked over and saddled up. She is such a graceful rider and I could sit on the fence and watch her all day. 



Nanny and Poppy came over for dinner tonight. 


Addie, in her own Laura Ingalls kind of way, put boots on with her dress and gathered the eggs. 

Okay.. one more Ali Grace picture...

I've read hundreds of Mother's Day comments on facebook today and I couldn't help but remember a blog post by my friend Amber about inadvertently hurting people with our posts. While motherhood is a wonderful thing to celebrate, I really do feel like it is important to remember those women who for whatever reason are childless. I cannot imagine how painful it must be to endure Mother's Day at church, in the mall, in restaurants and everywhere else when you have been unable to have children of your own. I cannot pretend to understand what that must be like. Even though Pete and I lost a pre-term baby, we had 2 other healthy children to cushion that horrible blow. I don't know if we'd have dealt with it nearly as well had we not had Ali Grace and Addie Belle. I don't know why crack heads and flat out incompetent people are allowed to have healthy children while wonderful capable women cannot. I can't explain it. I have three friends who are struggling with infertility right now. One will be having a hysterectomy soon, eliminating any chance that she will have any biological children. They have both crossed my mind several times today and I prayed that they would find peace amidst all the hoopla. You know who you are.... just wanted you to know I was thinking of you today.  : )



No comments:

Post a Comment