Sunday, February 14, 2010

Let me say THIS about THAT...

Let me say THIS about Valentine's day.. I abhor it and think it is a manufactured holiday contrived to guilt men into using absolutely no thought, spending money on junk just because the TV said so.  Hint for the men...if you REALLY want to impress your wife, surprise her with a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates on a day when you aren't guilted into it by the Hallmark commercials on TV. Even better, clean the house, mow the yard, fix something that's been broken for months- that's the real way to a woman's heart. That's all I have to say about that.

Let me say THIS about the latest CRCT cheating scandal... I am disgusted. Imagine this- our idiotic governor has a wonderful pay for performance plan based on the improvement of students' test scores. I teach my butt off, neglect my own family looking for new and varying resources for my students, spend an inordinate amount of my own family's time trying to remediate the students who are unbelievably below grade level, only to see my PAYCHECK decrease because my students did not improve substantially over last year. Now, that's all well and good. But, what if the teacher they had last year "cooked" their test scores????  As I've ranted about in my previous blogs, my 3rd grader already spends a ridiculous amount of time learning to take a test at the expense of substantial physical education and recess. This state is totally out of control and all the folks in Atlanta just wring their hands and act as if they have no idea why. I could tell them why in about 30 seconds.

And finally let me say THIS about buying steamed crab legs with your Food Stamp card. It ain't right lady...I know that Harvey's steams them for free, but your food stamp card was not meant to buy prepared food. I know the high school kid at the cash register was having a hard time explaining it to you. I have an even harder time explaining why I am in line PAYING for 3 chuck roasts that have been marked down due to an approaching expiration date and you are in line using tax money for crab legs.

3 comments:

  1. Oh SNAP!!!! I hear ya, CARM!!! I think someone has been cooped up in the house with plenty of time to drink and think! hehehehe. Jk, you are completly right. I wholeheartedly agree with all parts of that rant :) - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! I am cheering you on as I type- Go Carmen, Go Carmen!!! Amen, amen and amen. I got some roast on sale too, but no crab legs, shrimp or other seafood- can't afford it while getting furloughed. Wonder if the food stampers have been furloughed??? It must be great to get prepared food while the working folks have got to make food the good ole fashioned way. Nice other people use our hard earned tax dollars to buy crab legs. Those same people send children to school having never heard an adult read a book aloud in the home, but I assure you they have rented the lastest horror flick and watched it in front of the kids. Those are also the parents of the children eating that disgusting pre-packaged food the USDA considers healthy/free lunch- all at our expense. All while wearing a $130.00 pair of shoes and brand new clothes. These are also the people that cannot figure out why the whole country doesn't want socialized medicine.

    As for the cheating scandal- So far the cheaters have been the administrators, not the teachers. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this so called investigation. I just hope teachers aren't blamed for something someone else did.

    Finally, I must also agree w/you on V-day. The whole idea just puts me in a bad mood. I was so glad when the school system finally stopped letting the kids and parents send stuff to the schools. It was unbelievable what they could buy for V-day, but couldn't afford $1.50-$2.00 for lunch. I've always told my dear hubby to not worry about the day and who wants to go out to eat on the same night as everyone else in the world- the wait is awful. I stay as far away from a Augusta as possible during this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy- you are right and I should have mentioned that about administrators. They have FAR more opportunity to change answers than teachers do. I know the kids I teach and most of them wouldn't bother to change the answer even if I DID tell them it was wrong. I don't even walk around during the test. I make one pass to make sure they are marking their answers in the correct section, but after that, they are on their own. Time is up and an administrator comes and picks them up. The window in my door is uncovered at all times.

    Also agree with you on the school lunch deal. It gets worse and worse each year. More and more things served in bags and boxes and less and less actual "prepared food". It really is a shame.

    ReplyDelete