Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm an addict...

Recently my sister in law introduced me to vinyl wall stickers. This was a mistake! I've spent too much money and my house is starting to look like a freeway overpass with all the writing everywhere. Seriously, I've toned it down a little but I really do like them!

Our butler's pantry/wet bar area has pictures of good times and good friends and  I bought a John Lennon quote "I get by with a little help from my friends". I put it above the door  across from the wet bar. Each time I open the wine chiller, I think of all the times good friends in my life have helped me get by, and there have been a slew of 'em!

I also got one for above the sofa in the living room. I'd been hunting a painting or something to go there for awhile and never found anything that really struck me. I decided on the Thoreau quote "Live the life you've imagined".  How fitting, as I am living the life I imagined as a little girl playing house. Not everything is quite as rosy as I once naively thought, but generally life is incredible. Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.

Lastly, I got one for the entryway from the garage. This area has been a wasteland since we moved in. In fact when we built the house, Pete and I fought over that crazy mudroom! He insisted that there be a shower in there. Totally useless, but I finally relented! There is a hallway from the garage and the first door is the mudroom and the second is the laundry room.  It's so utilitarian, we've neglected it. I've just started trying to do something with it. I've always wanted to display the girls art in some area and thought this would be perfect. So, I bought a Pablo Picasso quote "Every child is an artist" and I've put some of the girls' framed artwork under the quote. I really like it!

I got them all from etsy.com but not all vinyl stickers are created equally! BEWARE! If they are not great quality then they are a nightmare to pull of the paper and stick onto the wall. I bought great ones from "letterexpressit" on etsy and I'd recommend their products.  They will do custom orders as well. You can pick your font and size.  The greatest thing about them is that when you get sick of them, you just pull them off the wall. The down side is that if you're not careful you'll get the graffiti effect in your house!! Ali got a Miley Cyrus "The Climb" quote to go above her bed and since Addie is totally indifferent, I got her one that says "For this child I prayed and God has granted me what I asked of Him".  I think it will be really pretty on her yellow walls. Yes, the graffiti syndrome, I have it. Admitting it is half the battle.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this vinyl stickers and think they are really neat. Thought about ordering one for the hallway when I finally paint it and hang pictures. Probably will be a while. I love the quotes you have used.

    ReplyDelete