Thursday, February 25, 2010

Got Milk?



A few weeks ago my dad mentioned that one of the farmers he knew in our community was going to start bottling and selling milk straight from the farm. This caught my attention because as I've mentioned before, I am really really stoked about the local foods movement. I think it helps sustain the local economy, is generally healthier, and more environmentally responsible.  Dad didn't know much about it but after a little asking around and checking it out I found out some information.


The Frank family has farmed this area for almost 20 years and owns the largest Brown Swiss herd of cattle in the state of Georgia.  According to the local paper,  the Franks built a bottling plant on their dairy and began selling their milk locally last month. There are only three such farm-based bottling plants in Georgia and none in this region.  


When I found very appealing beyond my growing locavore habit, was that the dairy produces top quality milk without the help of rBST, or recombinant bovine somatotropin. rBST is a synthetic hormone which increases milk production in dairy cattle. While I was a student in the college of agriculture at UGA, the use of rBST was a hot topic. While I'm not completely opposed to genetic engineering, I like to have other options available. 


I am also encouraged by the fresh factor! The Franks say that the millk you buy this morning came from the cow YESTERDAY!  I like to know where my food comes from when possible. When you buy milk in the store, it came from all over the country and was pooled at large plants before it came to the grocery store. I'm not at all railing against milk you buy at Kroger. I just think the Frank Farm option is a cool option. They sell straight from the farm as well as in a few local stores.   Of course the price is a little higher at 4 dollars a gallon but I feel good about giving this money straight to the farmer and not to a huge conglomerate like Wal Mart.  The milk is branded as "Southern Swiss" and the only down side?? It's not homogenized...so you have to shake it up or you'll have a big blob of milk fat flop out in your cheerios. Not cool. Definitely not cool. I am planning on getting some chocolate milk this weekend at the farm. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

2 comments:

  1. So cool! Do they have certain times/days you can buy the milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8am-6pm Monday thru Saturday. The farm is on Rosier Road. They also sell it at the Pineland Bakery AND at Vidette Store! I'm going to try and get some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete