Thursday, December 20, 2012

Countdown to Christmas


We had a great trip to Plains last weekend. I'm sure Aunt Christine would have been happy to see all of us laughing and having a good time together. I got to see several cousins I haven't seen in many many years. I am so glad I was able to go.
It's so funny to me that when you're a kid, everything looks so big. Now that I'm grown, this shed looks like a shed but when I was a little girl it was like a HUGE barn! If I had a nickel for every fish that was fried under this shed I'd have no need for a job. Many many good memories! My uncle Cecil was the king of the fish fryer. The whole community of Centerpoint knew that for sure!

While I was looking around the old shed, I saw this old rocking chair. I was instantly transported back in time. I think this chair used to sit on Aunt Christine and Uncle Cecil's front porch. I used to think this was the cutest little chair. I'd never seen a miniature rocking chair before and it fit me just right.

Have you ever stood somewhere you stood 30 years earlier and instantly been moved back in time? That's what happened when I saw the old fishing pond across the road from Aunt Christine and Uncle Cecil's house. Uncle Cecil loved to fish and we never visted that he didn't take us fishing. Daddy's cousin Jaqueline and her family have turned the old pavilion out at the pond into a hunting cabin.  It did my heart good to see it. But after the Connecticut tragedy last Friday, it also hurt my heart to think about a simpler, slower time that I'm not sure my girls will get to enjoy. Insert long sigh here...



Last night the girls went caroling with the LUMC Youth. Poppy drove the truck and pulled the trailer. Addie Belle Bennett thought that was the coolest thing ever! She got cold and ended up riding in the cab of the truck! Addie's excitement about Poppy pulling the carolers reminded me of when I was in Mrs Martorell's 2nd grade class. I remember her telling our class that we needed a Christmas tree and asking if there was anyone who could bring a live Christmas tree. I couldn't jump out of my desk fast enough. I yelled MY DADDY OWNS A LUMBERYARD AND HE HAS THE BEST CHRISTMAS TREES IN TOWN! Some other poor kid tried his best to say that HE could bring a tree too but he didn't have a chance. I think Ms Martorell said she'd take the first tree that arrived. Holy smoke. My poor daddy dragged the most spectacular fraser fir tree on the lot into Ms Martorell's room and I immediately declared victory! I have absolutely no idea why my mind chose to remember such an event but it has stuck as clearly in my mind as any of my early childhood experiences. My daddy was the coolest daddy in the entire world that day. I think Addie Belle thought he was he was the coolest Poppy in the world last night.

Isn't this the cutest bunch of carolers?
That's my sweet Addie with the braid in front and Ali with MY scarf......That's a whole 'nother blog right there.

Nanny and Poppy took the girls caroling since I hosted my faculty party here last night. I am so blessed to work with such fabulous fun loving people. I always count them amongst my greatest blessings.

We're counting down the days until Christmas around here. The girls finished up school yesterday. Ali dressed up for her class Christmas breakfast at the Methodist church in Waynesboro and Addie got to wear her pajamas!



Thank goodness for Amazon Prime. It's allowed me to avoid Augusta. Best $79 I ever spent... except maybe on that Christmas tree from my daddy's lumber yard. I don't know what it cost my daddy but I know it made my Christmas that year!
Merry Christmas everyone. Dial back the stress. Have a glass of wine. Enjoy the season!










No comments:

Post a Comment