Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Lot Like Christmas


City folks don't know what they're missing when it comes to a small town Christmas parade.  All the huge tractors from the local dealerships pull the floats and the mayor rides in an old pickup truck. This year my favorite float was from a local appliance repair business. The float had an old washing machine, an old refrigerator and what appeared to be a defunct air conditioning unit. Not sure about the last one. Woo hoo for small town living! Addie met up with her good friend, Lilly and they shared quite a few giggles. Lilly holds the distinct honor of being called by her first and last name. Addie always refers to her as "Lilly Brown". I have a feeling that even when they go off to college and have spent many years together, she will still call Lilly "Lilly Brown". She has a few other friends like that too. If she calls you by your first and last name, then you know you're very special to her.


We're all decked out for Christmas here. This is the tree where I hang all my childhood ornaments and all the ornaments the children have made in school and church. I have all of the ornaments I got each year in church. One of the best childhood memories I have of Christmas is the Christmas program at Hartwell First Presbyterian Church. The Ladies of the Church would make an ornament for the children and put it in a goodie basket each year. I also have most of the glass 12 days of Christmas ornaments Mr. and Mrs Feltman, from our old church, gave to me when I married. I've broken a few over the years but I'm still hanging on to at least 9 days of Christmas. I think of them every year when I put them on the tree. I have an ornament  from my FIRST New York City  trip 23 years ago, and a saxophone ornament from when our band played in the Macy's Christmas parade in Atlanta along with ornaments cross stitched by my Mama when I was Addie's age. I LOVE decorating that tacky tree every year! 


What a great year to put out the DAWG tree! I was so hoping for a victory in the SEC Championship game. If the Dawgs had pulled it out, a new ornament would have been added to the collection saying "I think we broke a floor joist...everyone stay calm" That was my friend Beth's quote of the night.  But alas it was not to be and it would be bad Karma to put a quote from a losing game on the tree. We watched the game at the Teacher of the Gifted's house (the Dawgpound). We had a great time! Hope to return the favor soon.



Anyhow, it's still great to be a Georgia Bulldog!

The weather has been warm this week and the kids have played outside a lot. It's getting dark earlier now though and so right now the girls are literally dragging each other around the house.


Only a few more days until Christmas break and I am hoping not to lose my religion during this crazy time! The girls have so much going on at school with Christmas gift exchanges, Christmas music programs, Christmas dinner, etc. The Louisville Middle School faculty will be gathering here to celebrate surviving an entire semester and the girls will be caroling around Louisville with the church. So many fun things going on- trying not to stress! Slow down and try to enjoy the season folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment