Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Story of Us

Today marks 12 years Pete and I have put up with each other. I say that because I really think God puts you with someone for a reason. Since none of us are perfect, I think if you let Him, he'll find you someone who makes you a little closer to perfect.  

Pete and I met at the University of Georgia in the Spring of 1997. I had graduated early and started graduate school. Pete was... well... having a good time and enjoying everything the great University had to offer. When I tease him about not graduating nearly on time, he reminds me that had he graduated one quarter earlier, we never would have met. 'Tis true. We ended up student teaching together at the same high school. Long story short. We were working late in the livestock barn. It was cold. He loaned me his gloves. The rest is history. 

Don't think for a second I don't want to beat him to a pulp sometimes! But most of the time, he really floats my boat, plays my piano, peels my banana... you get the picture. 

Here's a few reasons why I love him... in pictures.

He loves golf, even when golf doesn't love him...



He can hook up the lights on a christmas tree like no other!




He is a GREAT daddy!


He keeps up our family traditions... here he is juicing oranges around Christmas time a few years ago.


He can build anything. Here's the shelves he built in Addie's closet in our house in Effingham.


He loves his Mama. That was VERY important to me. I would never have married a man who was not nice to his Mama! When I first met her, I listened to every single word they said to each other. No lie. He loved his grandma too. She spoiled him because he was the oldest grandchild.


Did I mention he's a great daddy?


He plays in the ocean... but not just in Florida!

In North Carolina....


and in South Carolina.... (The more I look, the more I think this may have been in NC as well, but you get the picture)...


It's been a great 12 years. 



A lady of forty-seven who had been married twenty-seven years and has six children knows what love really is and once described it for me like this: 'Love is what you've been through with somebody.'James Thurber

2 comments:

  1. About those gloves… It was cold, and I loaned my favorite pair of fleece gloves to my VERY attractive co- worker/student teacher. Before the day was over, she had “lost” them. Seeing an opportunity, I convinced her that since she “lost” my favorite gloves, she should at least go out on a date with me. And that’s how our relationship began…

    You see those were REALLY good gloves. In fact, I still wear them each year during hunting season to keep my hands warm! You see, what it was was- Carmen put the gloves down and forgot where she put them. I picked them up so they wouldn’t get lost. Carmen came to me later and told me she had “lost” my gloves, so I seized the opportunity to get her to go out on a date because of the guilt she felt for “loosing” those gloves.

    As Paul Harvey would say, now you know the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story Carmen! I love the picture with Mrs. Toni and Grandmama Lyles -- you are blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete