Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rough day...Rough YEAR!


Today was not one of my finest teaching moments. I am tired. I am weary. I am not having fun. This year's group is particularly challenging and I've tried hard not to let it define my attitude towards teaching and public education in general, but sadly it has. In addition to furlough days, my National Board supplement was cut to virtually nothing. Our school has no money for ANYTHING and if I wasn't so close to having a PhD in Education, I'd consider finding another line of work. Seriously y'all. It's that bad. The latest issue that seems to be another nail in the coffin of my teaching career is "pay for performance". I am so sick of hearing about it I don't know what to do. The general public thinks it's wonderful because they have no clue what it's about. If I go to the doctor, she will tell me to lose weight, to eat less red meat, to drink more water, and to exercise more. She will explain why these things are so important for my health and my future. But guess what y'all! She can't make me do it! If a cardiologist prescribes a healthy diet for his patient after a successful bypass surgery, and the patient does not follow that diet at home, how in our warped minds is that cardiologist responsible for his patient's heart attack? Teachers are the only professionals who continuously allow ourselves to be stomped into paste on the pavement. Whatever asinine things come down from Atlanta, we deal with the crap of it and do the best we can do and say little about it.
This year has put a bitter taste in my mouth with regards to public education. I'm not sure it's the best option anymore. There are fewer and fewer children I want to be around my own children. There are more and more problem children which take up a majority of the teacher's time while the children with good raising sit still and wait. There is such an intense focus on standardized testing that ELEMENTARY children only have recess once a week. The majority of instruction is CRCT practice, and beyond the control of teachers. Schools are so desperate to get students to MEET standards on the test, that there is NO focus on getting the smarter kids to EXCEED the standard. Again, this is just a by product of over testing. It has NOTHING to do with the quality of the teacher. Ali has a WONDERFUL teacher this year.
I am not sure what we'll do next year. Private school is an option for the girls although it's not an option for employment. I'm still looking into it for the girls next year though, although I'm still not convinced it's the best option. But bottom line is I don't care if they can think algebraically. I'm just looking for a few kids who can THINK period.


1 comment:

  1. I typed this earlier, but it did not go thru. Amen! Could not have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete