Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bulldog Bonanza

This week was NUTS! Monday was the girls' first day of school. Ali Grace started 6th grade and Addie started 2nd grade. Don't they look thrilled? They love school, but they love romping around the farm all summer much, much better. It didn't take them long to get into the routine of school but it's never easy for us.
As if this back to school week wasn't crazy enough, we thought it would be a GRAND idea to go to a goat show in Athens. I'm not sure why we thought that was a good idea since we're all exhausted but ANYHOO... we all had a good time. We had a GREAT cheering section. I meant to get a picture of the peanut gallery but never did. Beth (the teacher of the gifted) came along with her mama, (the tea lady) and they met up with Cynthia, a friend I met on the mighty Altamaha this past summer. She actually went to high school at Brentwood with Beth. Small world. The girls were so excited to have "goat show groupies"! Addie Belle especially adores the tea lady. I've always believed the more people you have in this world to love your children, the better off they'll be. We're in good shape so far. 

Addie washed her goat and got her ready for the show this morning while wearing an EBA field day shirt, running shorts and her trademark red boots. She really has a style all her own.


Sweet Ali Grace is hard to photograph before she goes into the arena. She gets nervous I think. However she says she's saving her smiles for the judge.


Here's a sweet smile I managed to capture!


Things got hectic when we had 4 goats in the same weight class. Never fear! The teacher of the gifted is here! You can take the girl out of the farm but not the farm out of the girl. She helped Addie get her goat to the holding area while we got the other goats ready.


I think Addie may be praying over her goat. ha!


It's impossible to keep Addie clean at a show. I starched and ironed her shirt and jeans before she left this morning. What a waste of time. She ends up much dirtier than the animals.




Addie and Sidney played in the barn while waiting on their classes to be called.

And check out my nephew Colten Cooper! He had a rough show last week when his goat horned him in the eye, dragged him and then knocked him down. Look who's right back at it! And guess who won his weight class and got 6th overall?  Yes, yes he did.


Ali Grace doesn't even look like the same showman as she did 2 shows ago. I'm so proud of her. She always has such a calm grace about her. 




We got home this evening and all of us crashed! We were beyond exhausted but had an awesome time at the show. We've got a few weeks off until the fair season starts and we wind up Goatpalooza 2012 at the State Show in October.

One of my friends at work, Jacquie Jukes, told me in a casual conversation last week "you're giving your kids a pure childhood". I don't think I've ever gotten a better compliment. In case you didn't know Jukes- that made my week and I really needed to hear it. Thanks. I get by with a little help from my friends. 


1 comment:

  1. So glad your family is enjoying goat shows so much. I really like what you said about having so many people to love your kids. My parents best friends were a couple without children and two single friends. They were at my house every weekend during my childhood. I learned to play Rummy from the best. I love them dearly and cherish all the time they spent with me growing up. Jukes is absolutely right about the type of childhood you are giving your children. I know these are memories they will never forget.

    ReplyDelete