Thursday, February 16, 2012

Greener Grass and General Gripes

Without fail, every time I get my self worked in to a tizzy over something  (tizzy is a wonderfully descriptive southern word) God quickly reminds me to chill the heck out and that things could be worse. A lot worse. I really have worked myself into a lather about the shortcomings of our technology at school and don't get me wrong- it irritates the hoo ha outta me when things are blocked and I need them for my class but whoaaa baby- it could be worse. YOU COULD work in a school system where a kid using a cell phone as a calculator is treated as a federal crime. Yes. I couldn't make that up.  So I feel as though I need to say PRAISE GOD I teach in a system that is not perfect, but listens to my gripes and at least makes me feel as though they care about my gripes because they know I have the best interest of children at heart. Turns out that's not so common. Principals and Superintendents who refuse to listen to teachers' concerns, discount their efforts to improve, and stifle innovation because they are afraid of it or do not understand it, do so at their own peril.  Something is wrong when you spend more time sniveling over a kid's cell phone calculator than you do focusing on innovative instruction. History will look back on them and laugh much as we do at the guy who foolishly said in 1976 that he could see the use for maybe 50 computers world wide and that the computer would never be a personal household item. Ha. Thank God I don't work in a system like that. Just sayin'...


No comments:

Post a Comment