Saturday, September 11, 2010

win or lose...Glory to 'Ol Georgia


It's been awhile since I've blogged and that's mostly because we are swamped at the house of Bennett.  I guess it's a good kind of swamped. We've got ball games and cheer practices and such. There's a fine line between overscheduling and keeping the devil away from idle hands. I'd decided early on to avoid any "lessons" for Addie this fall until we could get settled in a new school and Pete could get acclimated to a new job. The result has been a happier less hectic home and that makes for a happier less hectic mama.

Ali did go and see her pediatrician who had mercy on us and prescribed a very small dose of Concerta, a time released Ritalin. We have been utterly amazed at the difference. She can now complete her homework in an hour rather than two or three. She has made 104 and 108 on the last two spelling tests. She is doing much much better in her other classes as well. I have not been giving it to her on the weekends but she told me she wanted to take it today because she could concentrate on the cheers better when she takes it. She is not hyperactive in the least and so I don't think her teachers ever realized how serious her attention deficit
was until now. We're starting to get into a rythym and I can see things settling down around here soon.

I bought a new bedspread last week from overstock.com! It is REALLY nice.  It was called "Antique Chic" and I liked the classic quilted look but also liked the unique fabrics. It went well with my dark wood  bed. It was only 79 dollars for a kind sized quilt, two shams and two decorative pillows that were really pretty.
 Our old one we'd had since we built the house three years ago and it looked terrible. There was everything from dry erase marks to kool aid stains to fingernail polish oh and don't forget the burned spot where I laid a hot curling iron on it on the NIGHT my house was on the Christmas Tour of Homes!   I had to run furiously through the house to find a throw to put over the foot of the bed. Good times!  Also bought the girls some fall clothes since Gymboree had a 30% off sale. Addie got some skirt sets from Etsy.com but I'm beginning to wonder if the weather will ever get cool enough to actually WEAR fall clothes.

And one last thought today...  seriously guys. Why are so many people so ugly when it comes to sports? I'm talking 9 year olds all the way to college ball? Why? I am so glad there are men who are willing to go out in the hot sun and coach 9 and 10 year old boys and women who are willing to coach pre teen cheerleaders for nearly no pay. I want role models for my children. I want coaches who teach them about life and that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but you do both gracefully, fairly and with dignity. Winning with humility and losing with grace are wonderful life lessons. I spent four wonderful years in Athens and not that you have to go to UGA to be a diehard fan, but if you DO, it gets in your blood and when people say such ugly things about the Dawgs, I feel like you're talking about my family! In my family we have at least 7 degrees from the University of Georgia and at least 4  from Virginia Tech. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way but I do. Don't talk ugly about the Dawgs or Hokies. Just root for your own team. Be nice to each other and THINK before you SAY.  Those are good life lessons too!

No comments:

Post a Comment