Sunday, August 8, 2010

Back to School

I must confess I have a nauseating feeling in the pit of my stomach this morning. As a teacher, I'm always a little nervous the first day of school. But, as a mother I am a nervous wreck today. Ali Grace and Addie Belle are starting their first day at Edmund Burke Academy tomorrow. We have had to make such a financial sacrifice in order for them to attend EBA, that I end up second guessing our decision and wondering if the difference will be worth it. We have good public schools in Jefferson County. Our decision came mainly more from the political part of public school rather than Jefferson County schools in particular. Like most things, the more the government interferes, the worse things get, since it usually results in more paperwork and "documentation" rather than teaching. We actually live in Burke County, and the public schools here are totally out of the question. With Pete leaving Jefferson County to teach in Jenkins County, we started to think that if I ever decided to leave Jefferson, the girls would have to change schools anyway since we don't live in that county and they were only allowed to attend there since we were employees.  It's been quite nervewracking.

 I feel in my heart that we've done the best thing for us, but it doesn't stop the constant worry and second guessing. Ali has started cheerleading camp and has made friends with several girls. She seems to really love it so far.  Addie met a little boy at Dairy Queen who will be in her class and the boy's father was very nice. He said he thought he'd seen me at open house and wanted to let me know that they were glad we'd decided to bring the girls to EBA and that he was sure we'd be pleased there.  I hope he's right.

We have a lot of changes going on in the house of Bennett this year. With the girls changing schools and Pete changing districts, we've had to put a huge calendar on my pantry wall to keep it all straight. We have cut back on all the "lessons" this year. Ali is doing cheerleading and Addie Belle may do gymnastics. That's the extent of lessons. No more Tuesday dance marathons. That might send me right over the edge.

Have a wonderful school year everyone! I have several friends sending little ones off to school for the first time and several more who have one lone senior left in their houses. Good luck this year to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a tile board dry erase board! We have them in all sizes around here. Here's wishing you a peaceful and happy school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great calendar! Just remember you have made the right decision for you and your family. It might not be the decision of others, but it is right for you! I have finally closed my kitchen after a marathon weekend of cooking. I also ironed a weeks worth of clothes. The bookbags are packed and lunches for tomorrow are ready. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete